Expressions of interest are invited for the position of Artistic Director and Choreographer for Ballet Theatre of Queensland. Ballet Theatre has an over 80-year history of providing professional performance opportunities for young talented dancers in the south east of Queensland, nurturing this talent and also the talent of young professionals on the brink of careers in staging, and lighting and set design in the performing arts.
This position is contracted and part-time, beginning in the first instance from late April 2019 to the end of January 2020. The Artistic Director will be responsible for the conception, development, and implementation of the artistic vision and focus of the company, including the production of an original narrative ballet, suitable for a young audience, for a 6-performance main stage season at the Queensland Performing Arts Centre in January 2020.
The applicant should therefore be passionate about ballet, and committed to the development of young people within the performing arts. Ideally they will have will have danced professionally in a company setting for a minimum of 3 years, and have significant professional experience as a choreographer. A demonstrated ability to coach young dancers, and a thorough understanding of all artistic and technical aspects involved in the mounting of a main stage production are also key requirements. Experience as a professional coach, ballet master, rehearsal director, or assistant to the choreographer will also be considered favourably.
Key responsibilities are to:
- Plan and conduct full company and soloist rehearsals
- Communicate regularly with Rehearsal Director on overall vision of ballet, including style of narrative and non-narrative movement vocabulary
- Give consistent feedback to dancers on accuracy and technique
- Evaluate and communicate progress of rehearsals to Executive Director
- Be available for rehearsals on Sundays as scheduled, including one full September holiday week, and two weeks in the middle of January (rehearsal, bump-in and performance)
- Be available for board meetings, producing regular reports, when required
Essential criteria are:
- Highly developed critical eye for dance, specifically ballet
- Well demonstrated ability to choreograph effectively, specifically for large groups
- Demonstrated professional dance company experience
- Demonstrated dance teaching/coaching experience
- Highly developed communication skills
- Sound knowledge of stagecraft as it specifically relates to ballet/proscenium stage productions
- Demonstrated rapport with young people aged 10 to 18 years
- Successful candidate must hold/apply for a Blue Card (Working with Children Check).
Please apply, addressing all criteria and attaching current CV to Denise Richardson (Executive Director) at email@example.com by August 31. Shortlisted applicants will be called for interviews mid September.